Every 3 minutes, cancer picks a fight with a Canadian.
Capital Smiledocs Dental is Helping to fight back against Cancer!
Dr. Vu and Dr. Madej both feel that it is important to give back to the community. Dr. Vu, having lost his father to cancer, has a personal interest in this worthy cause. Most every Canadian knows someone who has been touched by cancer either through family or friends. We would also like to take this opportunity to educate our patients on the risks of oral cancer, which in recent years, cases have been on the rise. We are a daffodil pin donation box location and we will be donating $1 for every patient seen in the month of April to the Canadian Cancer Society Ottawa branch.
Here is some info on Oral Cancer….
Risk factors may increase a person’s chance of developing oral cancer. The factors that increase the risk of developing oral cancer include:
- chewing tobacco
- chewing betel nut, also known as paan
- sun and ultraviolet radiation (for lip cancer only)
- previous head and neck cancer
- human papillomavirus (HPV) infection
- precancerous conditions
Early detection means finding a cancer or precancerous condition at an early stage. In most cases, finding cancer early increases the chances of successful treatment.
The signs of oral cancercan often be seen in the early stages of the disease during a routine exam with your dental professional. Possible signs and symptoms of oral cancer include:
- a sore that does not heal on the lip or in the mouth
- a lump or thickening on the lips, gums or in the mouth
- patches that are white or red (or both) inside the mouth or on the lips
- bleeding or pain in the lip or mouth
- loose teeth or dentures that no longer fit well
- problems speaking clearly
- a lump in the neck
If you would like to book an appointment for an oral cancer screening, call Capital Smiledocs Dental at one of our two convenient locations in Stittsville and Ottawa.