Dental Emergency and Vacation
A dental emergency can occur during your summer vacation! In preparation for summer vacation, most people change the oil in the car, stock up on sunscreen, and plot the best route to their destinations. With fun activities for the kids and plenty of snacks, many families embark on trips they hope will lead to good times and great memories. Most of the time, little thought is given to dental emergencies. Unfortunately, these situations can crop up and throw a wrench in your well-planned vacation.
The following tips can help you deal with the unexpected dental emergency until you can contact your dentist or find a dental emergency provider near your vacation site:
• Schedule dental visits for your entire family before you leave to decrease the chances of a toothache, loose filling or another dental emergency derailing your plans.
• Plan ahead. Take your dentist’s name, address, and phone number with you as well as your dental plan card in case you need this information when a dental emergency occurs.
• Before you leave, check with your insurance provider to find out what kind of coverage you have for a dental emergency in the area of your trip.
• For a loose band or bracket, use orthodontic wax to cover the area until you can get in touch with your orthodontist.
• If you have a lost crown or filling, buy over-the-counter dental emergency cement and gently put the restoration back in place.
• Any injury to your tongue, cheeks, or lips will easily bleed. Rinse your mouth with warm, salt water and hold gauze on the spot for about 15 minutes to stop the bleeding. If that doesn’t work, call your dentist, or go to the emergency room.
Capital Smiledocs Dental Centre hopes these helpful tips will make your summer vacation a fun and memorable event for your entire family! If you have any questions regarding a dental emergency, contact Capital Smiledocs Dental. We have two convenient locations in Stittsville and Ottawa South. Stittsville, Carp, Kanata, Ottawa and surrounding family Dentist.